Class 12 ENGLISH GRAMMAR

 Class 12 ENGLISH GRAMMAR

Change of Voice





















Narration Change of The Eyes Have It 



1.  "Are you going all the way to Dehra?" I asked.

2.  She said, "I didn't know anyone else was here."

3. I said to her, "But I heard you come in."

4. I said to her, "I didn't see you either."

5. The girl said, "I'm getting off at Saharanpur. My aunt is meeting me there."

6. I said, "Aunts are usually formidable creatures."

7. "Where are you going?" She asked.

8. The girl said to me, "Oh, how lucky you are. I wish I were going to Mussoorie."

9. I asked her, "What is it like outside?"

10. She asked me, "Why don't you look  out of the window?

11. She said to me, "Do you see any animals?  "

12. The girls said," It's nice to be told I have an interesting face.  I'm tired of telling people I have a pretty face.  "

13. I said," Well, an interesting face can also be pretty.

14. She said to me, "You are a very gallant young man, but why are you so serious?"  "

15." Goodbye, "said the girl.

16." Can you tell me tell me ---- did she keep her hair long or short?  "I said to the Co - passenger.

17.  "I don't remember," he said.

18. “Yes, this is the best time”, I said, calling on my memories.

19. “That always happens’, she said. “Do you see any animals?

20.“We’ll soon be at your station,’ I said.

21.‘No,’ I answered quite confidently.

Error Correction of The Eyes Have It 



1.  Is you going all the way to Dehra?
Ans-Are you going all the way to Dehra?

2. I didn't see you neither.
Ans- I didn't see you either.
3. I wish I was going to Mussoorie.
Ans-I wish I were going to Mussoorie.
4. As soon as she left the train, than she would forget our brief encounter .
Ans-As soon as she left the train,  she would forget our brief encounter .
5. I didn't know none else was here.
Ans-I didn't know anyone else was here.

Transformation of Sentences of  The Eyes Have It or The Eyes Are Not Here


1. I had the train compartment to myself up to Rohana . A girl got in.  (Join into a single Sentence)
Ans-I had the train compartment to myself up to Rohana where a girl got in.  

2.  I was totally blind at the time.  I was unable to tell what the girl looked like.  (Join using an adverb clause)
Ans-As was totally blind at the time,I was unable to tell what the girl looked like.
3.  I moved easily along the berth.  Then I felt for the window ledge.  (join into a simple sentence)
Ans- Moving easily along the berth, I felt for the window ledge.
4.  There were hardly any animals left in the forests near Dehra. I knew that.  (Join using a noun clause)
Ans-I knew that there were hardly any animals left in the forests near Dehra. 
5.  I would try to laugh for her.  But the thought of laughter only made me feel troubled and lonely.  (Join using an adverb clause)
Ans- Though I would try to laugh for her, the thought of laughter only made me feel troubled and lonely. 
6.  I just wanted to listen to her talking.  I was prepared to sit there for almost any length of time.  (Join into a simple sentence)
Ans-. I was prepared to sit there for almost any length of time to listen to her talking.


7.  She had beautiful eyes.  But they were of no use to her.  (join using 'though')
Ans-Though she had beautiful eyes, they were of no use to her.
8.  She was standing very close to me.  The perfume from her hair was tantalizing.  (Join using so ....... that)

Ans-She was standing so close to me that the perfume from her hair was tantalizing.

9.  She laughed pleasantly.  (use the adjective form of 'pleasant')

Ans-She laughed in a pleasant manner.

10. The woman gave the detailed instructions as to where to keep her things.  (use the verb from of 'instructions')

Ans-The woman instructed in detail as to where to keep her things.

Joining into single sentence.

1. Her voice had the sparkle. It was like a mountain stream.


2. I could not see. Had she already noticed it?


3. I had the train compartment to myself up. I had to go to Rohana. Then a girl got in that compartment.


4. The couple saw her off. They were probably her parents.


5. She had stood there. Only the scent of her perfume still lingered.


6. A man got into the compartment. He stammered an apology.


7. As I was totally blind at that time, my eyes were sensitive only to light and darkness.


8. There was some confusion. It was in the doorway.

9. I turned from the window. I faced the girl.

10. I must have been sitting in a dark corner. My voice started her.


11. The window was open. I faced it. (Join into a simple sentence)


12.She might think me a romantic fool. I wondered about it.

13. A man got into the compartment. He stammered an apology.

14. I was totally blind at the time. My eyes were sensitive only to light and darkness.


15. She was standing very close to me. The perfume of her hair was tantalising.

16. I have some doubts. Her next question removed them.

17)Then the door banged, and the world was shut out again. (Turn into a simple sentence)


18)She had beautiful eyes, but they were of no use to her. (Turn into a Complex sentence)


Some Important Correction of Errors.

1  October is best time. (Incorrect)


2. The train pulled out off the station. (Incorrect)


3. Did she put her hair long or short? (Incorrect)


4. Then I had better not to get too familiar. (Incorrect)


5. It was her eyes I noticed, not her hairs. (Incorrect)


6. I knew she was wearing slippers. (Incorrect)


7. We’ll soon be to your station. (Incorrect)


8. Few girls cannot resist flattery. (Incorrect)


9. I heard you to come in. (Incorrect)


10. My aunt will be meeting me there. (Incorrect)

Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles and or prepositions – Textual Grammar – GRAMMAR TIPS

1. _________Shiva temple, which made Rameswaram so famous_________ pilgrims, was about _________ ten-minute walk _________ our house.


2. Others declared that it was impossible_________ decide before hand_________ right time_________ every action, but that, not letting oneself be absorbed_________ idle pastimes, one should always attend _________all that was going

3. There was some confusion _________ _________ doorway._________ man, getting _________ _________ compartment, stammered________ apology.

4. _________Tsar turned round, and saw _________ bearded man come running _________ _________ _________ wood._________ man held his hands pressed against his stomach.

THE EYES HAVE IT
5._________train gathered speed,_________ wheels took _________ their song, _________ carriage, groaned and shook. I found _________ window and sat _________ front of it.

6. _________ hills are covered _________wild dahlias, _________Sun is delicious, and _________ night you can sit _________ front _________ a logfire and drink a little brandy.

7. As I was totally blind_________ _________ time, my eyes sensitive only _________ light and darkness, I was unable _________tell what _________ girl looked like; but I knew she wore slippers _________ the way they slapped against her heels.

8._________ engine whistle shrieked, _________carriage wheels changed their sound and rhythm,_________ girl got _________ and began _________ collect her things. I wondered if she wore her hair_________ bun;

STRONG ROOTS
9. I remember my father starting his day_________ 4a.m. _________reading_________ namaz_________ dawn. _________ _________namaz, he would walk down to a small coconut grove.

10. One must understand _________ difference _________ _________ fear-ridden vision _________ destiny and _________ vision that enables us _________ seek the enemy of fulfilment within ourselves.

11. I was one _________many children, _________ short boy Passive_________ rather undistinguished looks, born _________ tall and handsome parents, We lived _________ our ancestral house, which was built _________ the middle of the 19th century.

12. I normally ate _________ my mother, sitting _________ _________ floor _________ _________ kitchen. She would place _________ banana leaf before me.


THE PROPOSAL
13.Question We’ve had _________ land _________ nearly three hundred years, and then we’re suddenly told that it is’nt ours. They only come five dessiatius.

14. I’am not at all pleased about it because I’am afraid my hay may dot. I ought _________ have waited _________ bit. Why are you _________ evening dress ?
Are you going ………..a fall?

15. The peasants _________ your father’s grandfather, as I have already had _________ honour _________ exploring _________ you, used to bake bricks for my aunt’s grandfather.

Practice model set 1:


1. He says "Her voice had the sparkle of a mountain stream." (Change the narration)


2. They recognised me and wounded me. (Change the voice)


3. October is the best time. (Change into comparative degree)


4. I didn't aim to. ( Change into interrogative sentence)


5. The bleeding bark will heal. (Use verb form)


6. Having taken leave of the wounded man, the Tsar went out into the porch. (Split)


B. Use articles and prepositions:

When I was old enough_____ ask questions, I asked my father ____  the relevance of prayer. My father told me there was nothing mysterious ____ prayer. Rather prayer made possible___communion_____the spirit ____ people.

Correct the error:
C.
It has grown slowly consumes the earth.

Options- consumptions/ consumed / consuming

Important Grammar For H.S English Exam:


1. The hermit listened to the Tsar but answered nothing. (Turn 
into complex sentence) 
✓ Though the hermit listened to the Tsar, he answered 
nothing.
2. This is the best time. (Change into positive degree)
✓No other time is as good as this.
3. The bleeding bark will heal. (Turn into interrogative)
✓Will not the bleeding bark heal?
4. He had an ideal helpmate in my mother, Ashiamma.(Split)
✓He had an ideal helpmate. She was my mother Ashiamma.
5. Squeezer is better than Guess (Turn into positive degree)
✓Guess is not as good as Squeezer.
6. Few girls can resist flattery. (Use noun form)
✓Few girls can show resistance to flattery.
7. She said, “You are a very gallant young man. (Narration)
✓She said that he (the narrator) was a very gallant young 
man.
8. Pick up my pocketbook. (Voice change)
✓Let my pocketbook be picked up.
9. The Tsar said, “How can I learn to do the right thing at the 
right time?” (Narration change)
✓The Tsar asked how he could learn to do the right thing at 
the right time.
10. A girl got in. (Turn into negative)
✓A girl did not remain outside.
11. What a misfortune I've had! (Turn into assertive)
✓I have had a great misfortune.
12. The man who had entered the compartment, broke into 
my reverie. (Split into two simple sentences)
✓The man had entered the compartment. He broke into my 
reverie.
13. Many of them offered bowls of water to my father.
(Voice change)
✓Bowls of water were offered to my father by many of them.
14. The woman said, “Why did you want to do it for?” 
(Narration change)
✓The woman asked why he (Roger) had wanted to do that for.
15. I also remember people visiting our home to offer thanks after being cured. (Turn into negative)
✓I also do not forget people visiting our home to offer thanks after being cured.
16. He received none but the common folk. (Turn into affirmative)
✓He received only the common folk.
17. She was silent. (Use noun form)
✓ She kept silence.
18. It grows slowly. (Use noun form)
✓Its growth is slow. 
19. It grows slowly. (Use adjective form)
✓Its growth is slow.
20. Thou are more lovely than summer. (Turn into positive 
degree)
✓Summer is not as lovely as thou (you).
21. Few girls can resist flattery. (Turn into negative)
✓Most of the girls cannot resist flattery.
22. “Forgive me”, said the bearded man. (Narration change)
✓The bearded man requested to forgive him.
23. I think it was very cheap. (Turn into simple sentence)
✓I think it to be very cheap.
24. The root must be pulled out. (Use infinitive)
✓ The root is to be pulled out.
25. I can make you a present of them. ( Use as verb)
✓I can present them to you. 
26. I turned from the window and faced the girl. (Use 
Participle)
✓Turning from the window I faced the girl.
27. The poetry of earth is never dead.(Tur into affirmative)
✓The poetry of earth is everlasting/immortal.
28. Thou art more lovely than summer. (Turn into negative)
✓Summer is not as lovely as thou (you).
29. It has grown slowly consuming the earth. (Split)
✓1)It has consumed the earth. 
   2)It has grown slowly.
30. “Do you need somebody to go to the store?”asked the boy. (Narration)
✓The boy asked if she ( Mrs. Bates) needed somebody to go the store.
31. Didn’t you notice her hair? (Voice)
✓Wasn’t her hair noticed by you?
32. My father told me, “Adversity always presents 
opportunities for introspection.” (Narration change)
✓My father told me that adversity always presents 
opportunities for introspection.
33. She did not leave the door shut. (Turn into affirmative)
✓She left the door open.
34. All the answers being different, the Tsar agreed with none of them. (Complex)
✓As all the answers were different, the Tsar agreed with none of them.
35. He sleeps in sunlight at peace. (Use Adveb)
✓He sleeps in sunlight peacefully.
36. It takes much time to kill a tree. (Turn into negative)
✓It does not take short time to kill a tree.
37. How lucky you are! (Make it assertive)
✓You are very lucky.
38. I didn’t know anyone else was here. (Turn into 
affirmative)
✓I hardly knew anyone else was here.
39. There was nothing mysterious about prayer. (Use noun form)
✓There was no mystery in prayer.
40. She said, “Good night! Behave yourself, boy.” (Narration change)
✓She bade the boy good night and advised to behave himself.
41. It takes much time to kill a tree, Not a simple jab of knife will do it. (Make it complex)
✓It takes much time to kill a tree because a simple jab of knife will not do it.
42. I told the girl, “Are you going all the way to Dehra?” (Narration change)
✓I asked the girl if she was going all the way to Dehra.
43. My father, Jainulabdeen, had neither much formal education nor much wealth. (split)
✓ My father was Jainulabdeen. He did not have much formal education. He did not have much wealth.
44. I do not recall the exact number of people she fed everyday. (Make it affirmative)
✓I forget the exact number of people she fed everyday.
45. A soldier, very young, lies open-mouthed. (Make it complex)
✓ A soldier who is very young lies open-mouthed.
46. The woman did not ask the boy anything. (Voice change)
✓The boy was not asked anything by the woman.
47. His lower jaw is shorter than the upper.
✓His upper jaw is not as short as his lower jaw.
48. I can hardly believe my own ears. (Make it negative)
✓I can not believe my own ears.
49. My parents were widely regarded as an ideal couple. (Voice)
✓People widely regarded my parents as an ideal couple.
50. Only the scent of perfume still lingered where he had stood. (Make it negative)
✓Nothing but the scent of perfume still lingered where he had stood. 
51. She said, “Eat some more, son.” (Narration)
✓Addressing the boy as son, she asked him to eat some more.
52. I said to my father, “Why don't you say this to people who come to you for help and advice?” (Narration)
✓I asked my father why he didn’t say that to people who came to him for help and advice.
53. The humming insects don’t disturb his rest. (Voice)
✓His rest is not disturbed by the humming insects.
54. He is the best dog in the district. (Change into 
comparative degree)
✓He is better than any other dog in the district.
55. The blood would not stop flowing.(Make it affirmative)
✓The blood continued flowing.
56. The Tsar saw a bearded man come running out of the wood. (Voice)
✓A bearded man was seen come running out of the wood by the Tsar.
57. The Shiva temple, which made Rameswaram so famous to pilgrims, was about a ten-minute walk from our house. (Split)
  1. The Shiva temple, made Rameswaram so famous to pilgrims.
  2.  It was about a ten-minute walk from our house.
58. I answered confidently. (Use noun form)
✓I answered with confidence.
59. The Tsar decided to consult the hermit. (Voice)
✓The hermit was decided to be consulted by the Tsar.
60. It was a safe remark. (Turn into negative)
✓It was not an unsafe remark.
61. He is tired out with fun. He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.(Join into simple sentence)
✓Being tired out with fun, he rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
62. Her next question removed my doubts. (Voice)
✓My doubts were removed by her next question.
63. The Tsar brought fresh water and gave it to him. (Turn into simple sentence)
✓Bringing fresh water, the Tsar gave it to him.
64. He did not answer in a loud voice. ( Turn into 
affirmative)
✓He answered in a low voice.
65. “I wanted a pair of blue suede shoes”, said the boy. (Narration)
✓The boy said that he had wanted a pair of blue Suede shoes.
66. The man had entered the compartment. He broke into my reverie. (Make complex)
✓The man who had entered the compartment, broke into my reverie.
67. I'm getting off at Saharanpur. My aunt is meeting me there. (Make it complex)
✓ I'm getting off at Saharanpur where my aunt is meeting me.
68. As soon as she left the train, she would forget our brief encounter. (Make it negative)
✓No sooner had she left the train than she would forget our brief encounter.
69. The day passed. You did not return. (Make it compound)
✓ The day passed but you did not return.
70. People who cannot see have to take in only the
essentials. (Make it a simple sentence)
✓Blind people have to take in only the essentials.




Exercise for practice


TEXTUAL GRAMMAR


(A) DO AS DIRECTED:


Change the voice:

1. My aunt is meeting me there.

 2. Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May.

 3. Keep him warm.

4. The man who had entered the compartment broke into my reverie. 

5. You do not know me but I know you.


 6. Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?


7. My father could convey complex spiritual concepts in very simple down to-earth Tamil. [H.S.2018]

8. Have you measured it?


9. How much hay have you stacked?


10. The boy heard other roomers laughing and talking.

11)This water was then carried home for invalids. 


Change the mode of narration:

12. "Here comes someone running," said the hermit, "Let us see who it is."

13. "Eat more, son," she said.

14. The Tsar said to the hermit, "Let me take the spade and work awhile for you." 

 15. She asked me, "Why don't you look out of the window?"

 16. The Tsar said to the hermit, "How can I learn to do the right thing at the right time?"


17. The hermit said, "Let us see who it is."



18. "Goodnight! Behave yourself, boy!" she said, looking out into the street. 

19. The woman said to him, "What did you want to do it for?"


 20. Natalya Stepanovna said, "Are you going to start shooting soon?"

 21. She gave a little exclamation and said, "I didn't know anyone else was here." 

22. "I'm very sorry, lady, I'm sorry," whispered the boy.
 

23. "Why don't you say this to the people?" I asked my father.

24. Chubukov: "What's the matter? What are you shouting at?"


25. The hermit said, "Now rest awhile and let me work a bit."
 

26. "You have already been answered," said the hermit to the Tsar. [H.S. 2015] 

27."Then I won't turn you loose," said the woman to the boy. [H.S. 2016]

 28. "We'll soon be at your station," I said to the girl.
H.S. 2017)

 29. The boy got nobody at home. Nobody told him to wash his face.[Join into a simple sentence] 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Class 11 HINDI NOTES

Madhyamik Hindi Notes

Class 9 Hindi notes